Erasmus+‎ > ‎Incoming students‎ > ‎

Practical information

Academic Year

mid-September to mid-June. Please check the website for exact dates.

Start of the fall semester:  mid-September

Start of the spring semester: February

Non-teaching periods:

Summer vacation: July and August

Christmas vacation: 2 weeks

Carnival vacation: 1 week

Easter vacation: 1 week

Entrance fee: free

Application deadline: applications must reach the Conservatorio Superior de Música de Canarias by April 30th (first semester or full year) or by October 31st (second semester). Documents must be sent by email or post.


The institution does not offer accomodation to the Erasmus student but the International Office is able to provide information about rooms and locations and help you with the search. Rooms are rented in the city for about 250 or 300 € per month.

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria

You should check the next websites which offer rooms:, Piso compartido, Mundo anuncio, Flat Share Las Palmas, Easypiso, Yaencontre. You also could check in Erasmusu.

If you are coming without accomodation, we advise you to rent a room in a hotel or hostel during the first three or four days in the city. Great value for money is the hostel Downtown House. During these days the International Relation Office will provide you with a peer student who will help you find the best room available. Please take into account that there are many  students seeking roommates during the first month.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Information will be added soon.


To and from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria

Gran Canaria Airport (Aena Gran Canaria's airport web). The airport is about 30 minutes by taxi/bus from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. [prizes: taxi about 30€; bus about 2,50€]. Bus nº60 connects the airport with Las Palmas de Gran Canaria main stations (Parque de San Telmo and Plaza Santa Catalina). More information about public transport can be found on the website of Global and Guaguas Municipales.

The location of the Conservatory of Music in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is close to Parque de San Telmo.

From Parque San Telmo to CSMC ‎(Gran Canaria)‎

 To and from Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Here are two airports
1. Tenerife Norte airport (Aena's web)
2. Tenerife Sur airport (Aena's web)

The Tenerife Norte airport is about 10 minutes by taxi/bus from Santa Cruz de Tenerife. [prizes: taxi about 20€; bus about 3€]
The Tenerife South airport is about 60 minutes by taxi/bus from Santa Cruz de Tenerife. [prizes: taxi about 70€; bus about 9€]

Mobile phone

The Spanish mobile phone sector offers a huge variety of provider and charges. The main providers are MoviStar, Vodafone, Orange, HappyMovil and Yoigo are the cheapest. (But they do not always keep what they promise). We recommend you to buy a pre-paid-card either in a locutorio, such as PhoneHouse or go directly to the stores of the providers. Which ones? That is your own (difficult) decision.
Recommendation from a former student:

Bank account in Spain

Within the countries of the EU, terms and fees of a bank account are equal to those in your home country. So if you want to withdraw money from a cash machine you will be charged as much money in Spain as in your country. Therefore it not necessary to open a bank account in Spain. However, it is advisable to have a bank account at a bank in your country that has also a subsidiary in Spain and Canary Islands (Santander Bank, BBVA, Barclays Bank, Deutsche Bank). Another interesting possibility is the Sparcard by the Deutsche Postbank:

Spanish Grading System

Spanish Grading Scale. The students' performance is assessed using a 10-point grading scale

FX- UNSATISFACTORY 0-4,9: Suspenso (SS).

E- SUFICIENTY 5,0-5,9: Aprobado (AP).

D- SATISFACTORY 6,0-6,9: Aprobado (AP)

C- GOOD 7,0-8,9: Notable (NT). 

B-VERY GOOD 9,0-9,9: Sobresaliente (SB)

A- EXCELLENT 10: Sobresaliente (SB). ( 

Spanish lessons

CSMC provides students with spanish lessons 1 hour/week with a first week of 3+3 hours. In 2013-2014 we improve English lessons for non english speakers (Ex: from Russia via Poland).

Visas (Visados) in Spain

Find out about the different types of visa needed to travel to or reside in Spain...

A visa allows a person to travel to or reside in a country.

EU members: Citizens of EU member states that belong to the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) and/or the European Economic Area (EEA) are entitled to travel to Spain without a visa.

Non-EU members: Foreign nationals wishing to enter Spain for no more than 90 days in a period of 180 days must hold a short-stay visa unless they are citizens of a country that is exempt from this rule. This visa does not grant permission for the holder to work.

Currently citizens of the USA, Australia and New Zealand do not need a tourist visa to enter Spain (South Africans do) however if the intention is to stay, a national visa is required, which must be obtained from the Spanish Embassy in the country of residence.
Types of visas for non-EU nationals

For entry into Spain there are three types of visa depending on the reason for entry:
  • Airport Transit Visa (Visados de transito aeroportuario): Allows the holder to cross the international transit zone of a Spanish airport.
  • Short Stay Visa/Schengen Visa (Visados de corta duracion): Allows the holder to stay in Spain or travel within the Schengen zone for up to 90 days within a 180 day. Holders may not gain employment.
  • National Visa (Visados Nacionales): Allows the holder to reside, work, study or conduct research within Spain.

The transit visa legalises the stay of a person in Spain while they are waiting to travel to another country. The short-stay visa is for holidaymakers and tourists. Its validity period is rarely for more than six months and prohibits business or employment activity.

There are various types of national visas which allow for one or more of the following circumstances:
  • Work Visa (Visado de trabajo y residencia): Allows the holder to work and reside
  • Student Visa (Visado de estudios): Valid for the duration of an educational course, training programme, research or study
  • Diplomatic Visa (Visado de cortesía): Applies to government officials, medical visits, arts-related activities and humanitarian visits
  • Residence Visa (Visado de residencia): For those wishing to live in Spain not for work but for reasons such as family reunification or retirement

Spain does not currently have any working holiday agreements with other countries.
For a detailed description of entitlements and requirements for visas see the website for the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs

If the visa application is successful, the person must collect the visa within one month from the approval date from the office where the application was made. This period is extended to two months if the visa is for family reunification or study purposes.


European Health Insurance Card 

All foreign students who come to a Spanish institution, must have health insurance. Students from countries outside the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland, and are entitled to Social Security in their country, receive health benefits in the same conditions as nationals. If you come from another country, you should check if it has bilateral agreements with Spain, where it is so you can receive health care after you've enumerated. 
If you do not have Social Security in your country of origin or there is no medical agreement with Spain, it is advisable to take out private health insurance. In any case this insurance should fully cover medical care during their stay in the CSMC. You can hire at home or when you get to Spain.

Canary Islands offers a wide range of health centers and hospitals. The public health system is universal and free access , while ensuring a good quality of care :

The Primary Care Centres (Centro de Atención Primaria) is the first place you have to go when you have a health problem. Provide health and social care. To access their services for free , it is necessary to hold the EHIC card. Canary Islands has a comprehensive network of CAPs . To find the nearest CAP to your place of residence you can visit the website.
Public hospitals. 
Only you must go in an emergency . If this is a common health problem you should first go to your CAP reference . Medical personnel of CAP  if necessary will refer you to the Hospital. To access their services for free is also necessary to hold the TSE card -Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea (TSE) / European Insurance Card -.

Meanwhile, in the city there are hospitals and private clinics . If you purchased with private health insurance coverage , consult the documentation to find out which hospital or clinic you have assigned .

Main Hospitals:
Hospital Universitario Doctor Negrín (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria)
Hospital Universitario Nuestra Señora de Candelaria (Santa Cruz de Tenerife)